Osteomyelitis is a bone infection caused by bacteria or fungi.
What is Osteomyelitis?
How Common is Osteomyelitis?
Osteomyelitis affects about 2 to 5 out of every 10,000 people.
Who Might Have Osteomyelitis?
Osteomyelitis affects people of all ages and genders.
What Causes Osteomyelitis?
1. Artificial joint, such as a hip replacement.
2. Blood infection or conditions like sickle cell anemia.
3. Diabetes, especially a diabetes-related foot ulcer.
4. Metal implants in bone, such as a screw.
5. Recent broken bone or bone surgery.
6. Traumatic injury or wound.
7. Weak immune system.